Thursday, June 13, 2013

Project Cubbins: Hat Eighteen




Day Eighteen / Hat Eighteen: Cotton baseball style cap in weathered red with oval-shaped green and white needlepoint embroidery spelling out. Made by preppy hat purveyor Harding-Lane (exclusively we're told) for Five Seasons, an outlet store in Manchester, Vermont, that's heavy on the Lilly Pulitzer merchandise.

If I'm not mistaken, this one was purchased two summers ago, and I like it so much I sweated one into unwearability so quickly, the bride gave me hers.

And yes, it's another Vermont-themed embroidered hat (I warned you it's not all going to be fezzes and Egyptian headdresses), but this particular one reminds me of a cool bit of trivia about those oval-shaped black-and-white bumper stickers of a bygone Europe. (StickerCafe.com has a brief description). The Euro Oval with the letters VT, I read somewhere, designated a bumper (and presumably a car) from the Vatican.

I'd have laughed pretty hard if I was watching TV and saw the popemobile wind its way through St. Peter's Square with a VT on the bumper. I guess we won't see that until there's a Pope John Deere I.

Related:
Project Cubbins: Hat Six
Project Cubbins: Hat Nine
Project Cubbins: Hat Seventeen

No comments: