Saturday, August 09, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 440 -- Three Bears / Happy Birthday Smokey Edition


Day 440/ Hat 440: Black plush bear hat with front and back paws, brown and black plastic eyes, a black plastic nose pad and a pink plush tongue. There are no distinguishing labels or tags of any kind on this hat, which arrived in a very exciting box yesterday that I have decided to dub the DSAOH -- the Dianna Scott Ark of Hats. 

I know family friend DS is a teacher back in the 802 and she explained that she ran across the menagerie of millinery while packing up her classroom and offered to send 'em for use in the Project if I promised to return them. She did -- and I shall.

I chose this particular one for this particular day in honor of my ursine idol Smokey Bear who is celebrating his 70th birthday this very day. That's also why I chose to snap today's installment in the recently remodeled Garlodge with the recently stripped-down Press Pass Bear. Even PPB got in the mood today by donning my Vivienne Westwood Mountain hat (which I wore for PC 271) and sporting the "Friends of Smokey Bear" patch I recently ordered. 

These three bears (or maybe I make four) wish Smokey a very happy birthday -- and extend a heartfelt hat-tip to Dianna Scott for this first of many loaners to be featured!


Related:
PC 354: 70 Candles for Smokey Bear
PC 125: Big Bear & Bevier
A Year Ago Today in Project Cubbins


Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which celebrated the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1

No comments: