Saturday, October 04, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 496 -- Dreadlock Rasta Edition


Day 496/ Hat 496: Crocheted rasta-style cap in red, green, gold and black with attached faux dreadlocks that fall over the left and right shoulder.

Another in the "Why hasn't this happened before now?" series, the Bride and I found this at the UTB temporary Party City store on Beverly at Crescent Heights. It's similar (but not exactly the same) as this "Rasta Dreadlock Wig with Tam," described as follows at the website:

"Stop ya complainin' and go show ya ragamuffin' style! Strut your stuff in this Dreadlock Wig! Our Rasta Dreadlock Wig with Tam features an oversized tam cap with attached faux dreadlocks. Dreadlock Wig is made of 100% synthetic black fiber. Wig cap recommended for best use (sold separately). One size Rasta Dreadlock Wig fits most teens and adults."

I may be almost to 500 hats but I'm not there yet and I'm still learning stuff along the way. One of the things I discovered this evening is that the hat in question is not - technically speaking - a tam (short for tam o'shanter which is distinguished by its pompom.

Before we look ahead to the end of the Project, I need to make an important correction. In my eagerness to make a basketball-related analogy to close out yesterday's installment I said it was "a full-court press to the final four." In reality it was a final five (math has never been my strong suit). 

So it's as of today that there only four days left before the last lid goes live. Sometimes when I think about the end of the Project I'm all "Irie man," about it.

Other times I feel a little, well, dread.

And not the 100% synthetic black fiber kind either.

Related:
PC 396: Western Double Take
PC 196: Antler Claus
A Year Ago Today in Project Cubbins

Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which celebrated the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1.

No comments: