Sunday, December 08, 2013

Project Cubbins: Hat 196 - Antler Claus Edition



Day 196 / Hat 196: Red Santa Claus cap with white trim, functional bell on top as well as a pair of reindeer antlers (and two tiny brown ears if you look carefully enough) festooned with functional blinking Christmas lights.

This is one of my favorite pieces of holiday headgear of all time not only because it's a guaranteed attention-getter but also  because I was wearing it at Heather's annual holiday party some years back while my sainted mother was visiting from back east and my mom hilariously noted: "I birthed that reindeer!"* made a comment along the lines of: "I gave birth to that reindeer and wasn't easy."

(I wish I could recall the exact exchange. If any of you out there -- and you know who you are -- remember it with any more specificity, please let me know and I'll amend accordingly. My lack of recall from that seasonal shindig is now approaching legendary status.)

So today's tip o' the hat goes to my long-suffering  Momma Reindeer. And since her birthday was yesterday she gets a sincere tip o' the birthday cap as well!

Oh, and in case you're wondering, if you happen to bag me in season, you've got yourself a 12-pointer -- and a one-way ticket to the naughty list!

* [Updated 12/9/13, 9:19 a.m.] A sincere antler-wag in the direction of my sister-in-law 'Thleen for being first to provide an accurate account of the exclamation which is even funnier than I'd recalled.]

Related:
PC 195: Flannel State of Mind
PC 189: Elf off the Shelf
PC 188: Yule Yarmulke



OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which is celebrating the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1

Got hats? If you loan 'em, you'll get e'm back safe and sound!

No comments: