Monday, September 30, 2013

Project Cubbins: Hat 127 - Everything's Coming Up Roosevelt Edition


Day 127 / Hat 127: Taupe-colored 100%  rabbit fur felt hat with braided horsehair hatband and satin lining, part of the new Theodore Roosevelt collection from Orvis and a birthday gift from my sister-in-law Kathleen.

She surprised me with it yesterday on my whirlwind tour of Southern Vermont that had me, in the course of a half a day, drinking coffee on the porch of the Wayside with my sainted mother, tipping a Molson with my dad in SNAFU Hollow, breaking bread (and steak) with my broham Al and my OTHER sister-in-law and a goodly number of their brood (including his grandson), powering  down a cup of coffee at Naughty Pine with Thleen and my mother-in-law, bolting across the mountains to stuff a four-day weekend into a one-day bag and then circling my wagons (such as they are) to depart toward Boston (at 2 a.m.) for a 7 a.m. flight to LA.

While I still haven't slept, slapping this bad boy atop my head made me feel like grabbing the reins, shouting "Bully!" and charging on ahead. Take a moment to imagine what I must've looked like emerging from a dust cloud at sunrise on the outskirts of Bean Town, loaded for bear and making a bee line for Logan International Airport with this awesome lid gracing my bald and feverish pate.

So a sincere tip o' the hat goes not only to my sister-in-law Kathleen, but to the legacy of Theodore Roosevelt himself.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, the above photo is shot against the Giant Birds of Paradise in our backyard. While I felt truly at home every single place I went this weekend, I yearned for our little slice of paradise back here in the Golden State.

And now I'm back.

Related:
Orvis launches Theodore Roosevelt Collection
PC 125: Big Bear and Rob Bevier Edition
PC 121: Lock and Loden

No comments: