Saturday, November 30, 2013

Project Cubbins: Hat 188 - Yule Yarmulke Edition


Day 188 / Hat 188: Red velvet yarmulke with white pom-pom and white faux fur trim detail. Interior tag reads: "TM & Warner Bros. Ent. Inc., The OC" on one side and "100% polyester, Made in China" on the other.

Unpacking the "Adam Seasonal" holiday boxes yesterday, I struck a millinery mother lode. I found me all kinds of elf hats, reindeer antlers, Santa hats and the like that should have me keeping my head in the holiday spirit for a good week plus.

I decided to don this one today as a noggin nod to the rare concurrence of Thanksgiving and Hanukkah.  It is, in case you couldn't tell from its perilous perch on my huge head, a Christmas-themed (or at least Santa Claus themed) take on the yarmulke, borne of the fact that the Christmas holiday and the Festival of Lights traditionally fall close to each other.

What I didn't know (or had long forgotten) was that one of the things (the thing?) that helped push  "Chrismukkah" --or at least its "yamaclaus" hybrid headgear -- to pop culture prominence was the TV show "The O.C."

In order to be fair to all mid-winter religious celebrations -- and avoid potential Airing of Grievances -- what I need to find now is a hat that embodies the spirit and flair of Festivus.

Suggestions?

Related:
PC 187: Convertible Balaclava
PC 186: Turkey on my Mind
"Project Cubbins: The Road to 500" [VIDEO]

OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which is celebrating the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1

Got hats? If you loan 'em, you'll get e'm back safe and sound!


No comments: