Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Project Cubbins: Hat 206 - Lone Clone Trooper Edition


Day 206 / Hat 206: White plastic Hasbro Clone Trooper Electronic Helmet with gray and black accents and smoked gray visor.

After yesterday's hat I felt like I needed a non-holiday piece of headgear as a palate (pate?) cleanser and this loaner to the Project from co-worker Lisa Boone seemed like a good candidate.

Boone says of its provenance: "It was left at our house by one of my son's friends who was using as a protective helmet when they were playing Airsoft." (I felt like the world's most out of touch dude when I had to ask what this "Airsoft" thing is. Four words: one of them is "guns" and the other three are "spherical non-metallic pellets.")

I have to admit that when I started this post, I wasn't exactly sure what sci-fi property this referenced so , before I started digging I pinged my nerdwing (I just made that up -- it's a your wing man or wing woman for all things nerdish) -- my sister-in-law Kathleen with a photo to get positive identification.

'Thleen did not disappoint -- she responded in less than five minutes. After initially thinking this might be a "Star Wars" Boba Fett situation (which would have made for an awesome "Boba Fettish" headline) she pinged me back to let me know that while it is, indeed,  from the "Star Wars" franchise it's actually a clone trooper. Her e-mail included this actual line: "Apologies - subtle difference in the mouthpiece shape."

She also included supporting photographic evidence -- of a figure from her work pod's Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar.

So, while today's tip o' the helmet goes to Lisa Boone, the assist definitely goes to 'Thleen! (Best. Nerdwing. Ever.)

Related:
PC 205: The Jingle Baller [VIDEO]
PC 204: Adam of Arabia
PC 128: Skywalker Firefighter

OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which is celebrating the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1

Got hats? If you loan 'em, you'll get e'm back safe and sound!  

No comments: