Monday, September 08, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 470 -- Stealth 'Shroom Edition

Day 470 / Hat 470: Mushroom hat with white velvet gills and stalk and a red velvet cap with white felt spots. It is stuffed to shape with cotton filling.

What makes it magical? Well, two things. One is that there's a secret pocket inside. The second thing is that I was just walking through a world famous toy store in Midtown Manhattan earlier today -- totally minding my own business --  when, wouldn't you know it, a gust of wind blew through the store. Quicker than you could say "Frosty the Snowman," this bad boy up and perched itself on my pate.

I don't exactly know how it got there (perhaps it thought I was a fungi) but I do know better than to look a gift 'shroom in the gills so I pulled out my trusty iPhone and captured the moment for posterity.

Before it tumbled away in the next gust of wind I managed to see that it was made by Elope (which has had many a fantastical lid featured in the Project), which means it's probably this here toadstool.

Though I'm no ace at mushroom identification, it appears the mushroom millinery I'm sporting was crafted by elves to resemble Amanita muscaria -- this here mushroom -- which has psychoactive properties.

Which would make it a magic mushroom -- in more ways than one!

Related:
PC 270: Fancy Fish Knits
PC 170: Forestry Helmet
A Year Ago Today in Project Cubbins

Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which celebrated the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1

No comments: