Monday, September 29, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 491 -- Meanwhile, Back at the Batcave Edition


Day 491 / Hat 491: Black rubber Batman cowl with yellow and black oval-shaped Batman insignia on front and raised tone-on-tone lettering on back that reads: "TM and Copyright, DC Comics Inc. 1989, All rights reserved."

Donning the bat cowl brought me much joy today -- for several reasons. First and foremost because it was part of the loaner pack sent by Bill Harrison via his son Zachary. 

Second, when I went over to pick it up from Zachary yesterday (a trip that also resulted in yesterday's "Fat Elvis" installment) I saw exactly how bat-smitten Zach really is -- his living room wall is covered in all manner of bat-merchandise depicting the Dark Knight in all his brooding glory. It was only after I left that I got thinking about how I had been given temporary custody of a cowl that, based on the date must have been merch flowing from the Tim Burton movie of more than two decades ago. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I feel I was entrusted with a near sacred object. 

Third, since I wanted to make sure I was wearing a black shirt I totally grabbed a T-shirt at random from my drawer, realizing only later that the shirt emblazoned with the skull and crossbones (the words read: "I survived scurvy, smallpox  and death at Fort Ticonderoga") gave the old bat-insignia a bit of appropriate Pirate Season flair. (Let's not even get into how eerily similar the whole stately Wayne Manor/Batcave thing is to the house/Garldoge thing ...)

And finally, as I sat here this evening, brooding over plans for a new identity, a bat flew in the window and startled me. 

A hat-tip to the dynamic duo of Zachary and Bill.

And to anyone mewling about Ben Affleck's upcoming turn as the Caped Crusader, take a good hard look at the photo above and realize it could be a whole lot worse ...

Related: 
PC 407: My Old Bat Self
PC 365: A Year of Hats in a Flash
A Year Ago Today in Project Cubbins


Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which celebrated the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1.

No comments: