Friday, September 26, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 488 - Spiffy Spartan Helmet Edition


Day 488 / Hat 488: Plastic Spartan warrior helmet with gold and black hammered metal finish. Printing inside reads: "made in China."

This helmet is part of California Costume Collections' "Spartan Warrior" costume ("The fiercest of all of Greece, the Spartan Warrior never retreats," reads the tagline) which was pulled at random from a large orange box that I found sitting at my desk upon my return from New York Fashion Week.

Not the first piece of plastic armor to be featured mind you (that'd be PC 194), this is actually the look one tries to affect by donning the Miller Lite box headgear -- with the handle of the box approximating the look of the nose guard.

This installment of the Project brings me down to the dirty dozen. I wish I could promise some fantastical pieces of Seussian headgear over the next 12 days but given my inability to plan I'm improvising every last hat all the way to the end.

But the hat gods have always smiled upon me in my time of need and I have no doubt that they will continue to do so until I've thrown my very last hat in the ring.

Until that time, I soldier on ...

Related:
PC 288: Aces High
PC 188: Yule Yarmulke
A Year Ago Today in Project Cubbins


Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?


A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which celebrated the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1.

No comments: