Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 240 - All Hat No Bottle Edition


Day 240 / Hat 240: Forest (river?) green, baseball-style cap with embroidery on front that reads: "Battenkill Brewing, Arlington, VT" accompanied by an embroidered trout facing the wearer's right. Addition hat detail includes a black and white pin that reads: "Obama's Last Day: 01.20.17."

According to my dad - from whose head I snatched today's installment (and who appears with me in thew above left photo) -- the Battenkill Brewery is a currently in-the-works brewing operation, the founders of which had approached him about using the Wayside Country Store's name on one of its eventual beers. (He said yes.)  He can't remember what kind of beer it's supposed to be, but I know my dad's a fan of a good IPA, so maybe that's what it will be when the future beer is ready to quaff.

As for the button? That's actually what prompted me to include it in the Project in the first place. My dad thought I might not want to because of its political sentiment, but I assured him that I'm a "hat agnostic" -- at least as far as my quest to reach 500 goes. If the last 239 hats has taught me anything, it's that every hat sends a message -- some are just a heck of a lot easier to decode than others.

And the fact of the matter is, the guy who makes those "Obama's Last Day" buttons has been laughing all the way to the bi-partisan bank ever since launching his original range of products emblazoned with: "Bush's Last Day: 01.20.09."

Here's an idea: Maybe 260 days from today I'll get him to make me an "Adam's Last Hat: 10.08.14" button.

In the meantime, Dad gets a tip o' the trout fin and a raise of the beer mug for loaning his lid.


Related:
PC 239: Russian Rabbit
PC 238: Feelin' Blue, Devil
PC 237: Toque it Up

Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which is celebrating the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1
Got hats? If you loan 'em, you'll get e'm back safe and sound!

No comments: