Sunday, October 06, 2013

Project Cubbins: Hat 133 - Throwback Coonskin Edition

Me in my childhood coonskin cap (left), a view of its distinctive interior (right).

Day 133 / Hat 133: Vintage coonskin cap (circa 1970) with quilted red satin lining and black grosgrain sweatband.

The final hat from my sainted mother's birthday box, this was the exact same coonskin cap I wore as a rural hellion some four decades ago. My brother Al and I each had one, if I recall correctly, and they were originally a gift from my maternal grandparents.

There are two things that strike me about this hat. First is that, unlike so many things from my past that my memory seems to have caricaturized, modified, warped and altered, this item -- which I have not set eyes on for at least 35 years -- is remarkably the way I remember it, from the pillbox shape to the distinctive interior lining to the five bands each of alternating light and dark fur on the tail, which makes me believe that it has to be legit procyon locor.

The second is that, of all the hats I've donned over the years, this was the most instantly transportative. The minute I plunked this bad boy atop my head, I was ready to grab my Wrist-Rocket, hop on my Huffy bike and speed down Lincoln Lane looking for any all trouble I could find.

Since the both the number of things that change and the rate of that change seem to increase with age, it's a surprise when some things don't. This hat --like my enthusiastic embrace of trouble -- are two of those things.

And if you see me headed your way wearing this hat? Well, you've had fair warning.

Related:
PC 132 - Friends & Fords
PC 86: Teeny, Tiny Coonskin Cap Edition
Doffing the Coonskin cap in honor of Fess Parker

Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which is celebrating the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1

Got hats? If you loan 'em, you'll get e'm back safe and sound!

No comments: