Thursday, October 10, 2013

Project Cubbins: Hat 137 - Luck o' the Irish Edition

Day 137 / Hat 137: Donegal tweed flat cap by Jonathan Richard. I found this hat this mornin' (sorry, this morning) while looking through an "Adam Seasonal" box in the Garlodge for some cooler weather gear.

This hat was, indeed, purchased in the Emerald Isle whilst on a trip with the Bride and sister-in-law for a wedding, a trip that found us fishing, boating, horseback-riding and engaging in falconry t a summer-camp level. In the photo above I'm wearing it with my Irish raincoat.

I wish that was a euphemism for something but it's not -- it's simply a lightweight yellow raincoat I bought while there after realizing I'd not arrived with any wet-weather gear. Somewhere there's  a photo of me sitting in the prow of a boat on a cold Irish lake (why does that sound like the beginning of a Sting song?) sporting both of these. If I ever locate it, I'll add it to this post.

It was on that trip that I battled a bat in the belfry -- well, second floor, anyway -- of Ashford Castle (bat 1, Adam 0), learned what happens on the Fields of Athenry (certainly nothing good if you've stolen Trevelyn's corn) and learned that no human being in their right mind should schedule a trans-Atlantic flight the morning after an Irish wedding.


Related:
PC 136: Tono su Tono
PC 135: Trapper Yearling
PC 129: Vintage Red Crusher

OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which is celebrating the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1

Got hats? If you loan 'em, you'll get e'm back safe and sound!

No comments: