Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 402 - World Kippa Edition



Day 402 / Hat* 402: Black and white, four-section leather yarmulke with printed soccer-ball design and black stitching at seams and around the edge. Interior tag reads: "Genuine leather, Kipot, 1-800-kippott," and silver screen printing inside reads: "Bat Mitzvah of ... November 5, 2005." 

I'm not including the name for two reasons. One, I can't exactly make out the whole name. Two, I don't have permission to do so and am respecting the privacy of the more-than-likely unsuspecting bat mitzvah girl.

You see, this hat just arrived at my doorstep a few hours ago, one of a quartet of caps sent to the Project from the Painter family of Bremerton, Washington in exchange for a previously featured hat (the BabyGap fedora from PC 390). 

While I'll be sharing the details of that great hat handover in more detail in future installments of the Project (I want to touch base with the family first), with the World Cup still in full swing and Team USA's loss still top of mind, I wanted to put this piece of headgear top of mind to pay homage.

And in case you're wondering, this isn't the first yarmulke (that was back at PC 188), I'm pretty sure this is first aerial (aka drone's-eye-view) I've had to include. 

A sincere hat-tip to the Painter posse for this -- and the other soon-to-be-featured hats!

Goooooooaaaaaallllll!

Related:
PC 302: Slash Topper
PC 202: Big Elf, Tiny Hat
A Year Ago Today in Project Cubbins

Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which celebrated the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1.
 

*[Updated, 7/2/2014, 4:24 p.m.: It was pointed out to me by a Jewish friend that the kippah is not technically considered a hat ("like a tallit is not a men's scarf," she says) and is properly referred to as a skullcap. I certainly meant no disrespect by my categorization and as headgear by any name is sufficient for purposes of the Project, I feel the skullcap, now properly identified, still fits the bill. Apologies.] 

No comments: