Thursday, October 02, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 494 - Even Cowgirls Get the Pinks Edition




Day 494 / Hat 494: Pink, wool felt western-style hat with 3 1/8-inch brim, five-inch crown and half-inch center crease. Additional details include 2/4-inch white grosgrain hatband detail tied into a simple knot one one side, black leather interior hatband with tag that reads: ""WPL5923, 100% wool, X-Large, made in USA."

Although there were no other identifying tags in the hat, it only took a few milliseconds of cyber-sleuthing to rope, throw and brand this one. It's a "Ranger Wool Western Hat from Bailey Western Hats," described as follows at the website of Tack Room Inc. (slogan: "Your Horse Superstore!"):

"Strong, reliable, and independent like a true cowgirl on the range, the Eddy Bros Kid's Ranger is a very cool western for that youngster in your life. This wool cowgirl hat from Eddy Brothers will make your little cowgirl look like the darling of the rodeo. A classic Cattleman Jr. crown and sturdy 3 1/8 inch brim will make any child feel like a real western ranger, riding horseback through the old west. Your little girl can wear this western selection to that corral, rodeo, or bull riding event and fit right in. The Ranger presents a classic cattleman shape at an incredibly affordable price!"

Went I was hat grubbing in the Bride's closet and came across this cowgirl confection (which almost surely was purchased during a visit to El Paso, Texas, though she's not here to provide the proper provenance), I was almost positive it's already made an appearance in the Project. But, not wanting a #HATFAIL so close to the finish line, I looked high and low. I've featured plenty of western hats to be sure and a goodly number of pink pieces of headgear. And yes, I've even featured a pink cowboy hat -- albeit a pint-sized, glitter-covered one (PC 328). but nowhere did I find evidence that this critter had been featured.

Oh, and that pose in the above photo? I call that looking off to the right and down slightly the "pensive cowboy." I think it makes me look like I'm ruminating on all cowboy stuff -- lost calves, upcoming rodeos, where I left my winter horseshoes.

Now, from the saddle I'm sittin' in, it it appears I've got a six-pack of hats left to rustle up before I can hit the bunkhouse.

With apologies to "Rawhide," it's time to head 'em up, move 'em out, move 'em on, head 'em out ...

Related:
PC 294: Grinning Gambler
PC 94: Gondolier But Not Forgotten
A Year Ago Today in Project Cubbins

Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which celebrated the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1.

No comments: