Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 423 - Fucshia Burberry Bucket / POTUS Posse Edition


Day 423 / Hat 423: Reversible bucket hat with fuchsia-colored leather on one side and Burberry's signature check on the other (in cotton if I'm not mistaken). Label on check side reads: " Burberry London."

A late afternoon impulse grab from the Bride's headgear archive. 

I should point out that this afternoon I found myself in a most Bartholemew Cubbins-like waiting situation. As anyone familiar with the book knows, the whole situation that kicked off the volley of hats was the fact that the king was headed through town and everyone (including young master Bart) was to remove their lid to show respect as he passed. 

Well, as I approached thew homestead this afternoon it turns out that none other than the President of these United States was scheduled to pass through -- which required 3rd Street be blocked off to cross traffic from Doheny to somewhere near Highland. So I parked Diamond White, got out of the car and waited at the corner of 3rd Street and Edinburgh for the better part of 45 minutes until the POTUS posse passed.


I managed to get a pretty cool photo of what I believe to be the presidential wheels (aka "the beast"). I even think I saw POTUS his old bat self rolling calls in the back seat (but maybe that's wishful thinking). When it was all over I realized that in my enthusiasm for the moment I had failed to remove my hat.

Yup, I totally pulled a Cubbins. Which is kind of appropriate, I suppose.

Related:
PC 290: Barbour Bucket
PC 253: Tam o' Kinda Sorta
A Year Ago Today in Project Cubbins


Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which celebrated the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1. 


No comments: