Thursday, July 03, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 403 - Come Do the Locomotive with Me Edition


Day 403 / Hat 403: Blue and white railroad stripe (aka hickory stripe)  train engineer's cap (child's size) with adjustable strap in back. Interior tag reads: "Toysmith 07/10" on one side and "made in China" on the other.

Like yesterday's headgear, this was sent to the Project by the Painter family of Bremerton, Washington, who stumbled across the Project while on a quest of their own. The e-mail exchange went as follows:

Subject: Hat #390 please, I need this hat!

Dear Mr Tschorn;

I found your blog when searching for this grey baby gap hat.

My Mom bought for it my son, Leo and he wears it every day and has for two years. At night it goes on his bedpost. I had to solemnly explain to the front desk lady at school that is was "our faith" because hats are not allowed and she was always threatening to take it away from him.

It is nearly impossible to get it away from him to clean it. I live in fear of strong wind.

Please may I buy this hat from you?

Best regards

Nancy Williams Painter

Subject: RE: Hat #390 please, I need this hat!

Nancy,

I’m delighted that you discovered Project Cubbins! Leo is super cute in the hat and he should definitely have a back-up one in case of strong wind. I don’t want any money in exchange for it though. All I ask is that you send me a hat for the Project in exchange! (I do need to make it all the way to 500, after all …)

Does that sound fair?

Best,
Adam

Subject: Re: Hat #390 please, I need this hat!

Adam,

Thank you so much for getting back to me! That sounds completely fair and equitable!  If you give me your mailing address, your kindness will be returned to you many-fold.

True to her word, three days later, a shipment of four hats arrived -- the same day the Painters posted a Facebook photo of young Leo with his back-up lid on head. Having folks like the Painter family participating in the Project brings me great joy, and I can't thank them enough for reaching out - and throwing their hats in the ring. 

(Hint, hint: If anyone else out there wants to make a trade, I've got 97 hats left to account for!)

As for  the provenance of this lid, Nancy Williams Painter says : "The train conductor hat is normatively issued to Americans with children." Based on my e-sleuthing this may well have been originally issued to 11 other budding train engineers as well since Toydoo.com sells 'em in packs of 12 (for $79.95!)


Related:

Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which celebrated the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1.
 


No comments: