Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 472 - The Safety Sombrero of Goodwill Edition


Day 472 / Hat 472: Black velvet sombrero with white felt floral applique and multi-color thread embellishments. Additional detail includes silver braiding, and silver braided horseshoe details and silver braiding all the way around the brim. Underbrim is also embellished with green and red thread.

I purchased this at some point last week as a safety hat (for the princely sum of $7.99) at the Goodwill store at 217 W. 79th Street just a few doors away from our local pied a terre here during NYFW. The tag (visible on the left side of the crown in the photo) has a date of 9/05/14 on it. If that's the date it went on the shelf  then this was a fresh find. If that is a "recycle off the shelf" date then I rescued the sombrero just in time.

While the UTB Goodwill at home is my default place to scramble for a hat when I come up empty-headed, the suggestion to hit the OTB (on the block) one came from my mother-in-law after I'd posted that I might be in dire hat straits if my luck didn't change.

Since this bad boy won't be making the trip back with me, I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I could simply donate it back to the Goodwill from whence it came but there has to be something a little more fun -- like leaving it on a shelf in the closet here in the hotel room or putting it atop a statue in a park somewhere in the city.

The possibilities are endless.

Today's hat-tip goes to the clerk at the Goodwill who asked: "Where are you going to?" The assist to the MIL.

Related:
PC 229: Deadline Sombrero
PC 139: Some Sombrero
A Year Ago Today in Project Cubbins

Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which celebrated the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1

No comments: