Thursday, September 11, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 473 -- The Way I Lobster Roll Edition


Day 473 / Hat 473: Lemon yellow, baseball style cap with white embroidery that reads: "Luke's" with an embroidered lobster tail at one end and embroidered claws, head and antennae at the other. Additional detail includes a "Cool-Crown" mesh lining (let's call it "lobster netting," shall we?) that is, in the words of the hang tag, "designed to promote cooling and minimize staining," a leather buckle adjustable sizing strap in back and the word "Maine:" in all caps just above.

Interior label reads: "Adams, New York - Paris - Milan, upscale fashion headwear." Interior tag reads: "shell" 100% cotton, lining: 100% nylon, made in China."

Purchased this afternoon at, you might have guessed it, a Luke's Lobster shack. There are several in the city but the one I frequent is on the UWS Their lobster rolls are a simple thing of singular beauty, and I try to avail myself of one whenever I'm here.

I might've actually cracked two claws with one stone in this situation. While I was waiting for our lunch lobstys to be made I chatted up the guy behind the counter whose name is Storr. I told him about the Project (in all honesty I was hoping he'd let me do a courtesy snap, drop and lobster roll) and then explained that I had a rather large sombrero I needed to secrete somewhere in the city.

Storr offered to take it off my hands, explaining that all employees are required to wear hats and it would serve as a wide-brimmed velvet letter (so-to-speak) for anyone who showed up without the requisite hat.

My aim is to drop it off there tonight before wheels up tomorrow. If all goes according to plan, I'll be able to visit it next NYFW.

Of course if you'd like to visit the sombrero yourself next time you're in NYC -- maybe even take a selfie with it on your head (to send to me, naturally) -- swing by 426 Amsterdam between 80th and 81st and ask to borrow it for that purpose.

It'd seriously make me laugh my lobster tail off.

Related:
PC 349: Gettin' Crabby
PC 273: Red Rider
A Year Ago Today in Project Cubbins

Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which celebrated the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1

No comments: