Saturday, September 13, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 475 -- The Smokin' Tigers of Columbus Circle Edition


Day 475 / Hat 475: Forest green buckle back baseball style cap with a crouching yellow, black and white tiger logo on back and the ords: "Davidoff Columbus Circle" on back in yellow embroidery. Interior label reads: "Alternative Apparel, 100% cotton, made in China."

Loaned t the Project by Josie Witte, it was among those in a bag awaiting my return home from New York City. Which is ironic considering that, based on my sleuthing, it references a cigar club/store/lounge Davidoff of Geneva that is located in the shops at Columbus Circle -- right around where I was stomping my feet and hanging my many hats for the run of New York Fashion Week.

What's a tiger got to do with cigar bars? It certainly makes one paws. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) I couldn't find any information about that in my cursory search of the interwebs, but I did find a limited-edition Davidoff cigar humidor with a laser-etched tiger on the lid that refers to: "[t]he chosen image of the Tiger -- the symbol of strength and grace ..." So there's that.

Is it just me or does the Smokin' Tigers sound like the perfect name for a Triple A baseball team made up of cigar aficionados that tries to defect to Cuba in a fictitious Garry Marshall movie from the '80s? (Yeah, it's probably just me.)

At any rate, the hat-tip to Josie for the smokin' lid.

Related:
PC 275: Black Broner
PC 175: Floatplane
A Year Ago Today in Project Cubbins

Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which celebrated the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1

No comments: