Friday, August 16, 2013

Project Cubbins: Hat Eighty-Two - Red Stihl Edition

Day Eighty-Two / Hat Eighty-Two: Red baseball-style cap with multi-color embroidered Stihl logo on front, white embroidered "'26" on left side and white embroidered "Stihl" name on back. Interior tags read: "Made in China" and "Stihl Outfitters Officially licensed merchandise, collector's series."

This was the hat my brother Al was wearing when he arrived at LAX yesterday for a week of shore leave (or as I've punned it: "Tschorn leave") to mark his 50th birthday. The minute I saw it, I knew it would be today's hat. (In case you were wondering the name is pronounced "steel.")

In case you're not familiar with the family businesses back east, in addition to the Wayside Country Store I've mentioned in earlier posts, there's a combination furniture refinishing / chain saw sales and service / gas station business too. This hat represents the chain saw leg of the business. Al's early-morning web search confirmed the meaning of the "'26" -- the German brand  was founded in 1926 by Andreas Stihl, described as "an important innovator in early chain saw production."

And you thought I was the only cut-up in the family.

Related:
PC 72: Phish Bowl
PC 42: Hammock Time
PC 22: Taking the 10

2 comments:

STIHL USA said...

Adam: Couldn't be more impressed with your selection of hat. It shows a definite flair and strong fashion sense. A grounding in the basics while embracing futuristic color and patterns. (of course the fact that I work for the company could be influencing my reaction!). Well done.

Unknown said...


I truly appreciate you writing these as your insight has made me think a lot about this topic. Thank you!Stihl