Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Project Cubbins: Hat 290 - Barbour Bucket Edition


Day 290 / Hat 290: Brown plaid bucket hat in 100% nylon. Interior tags read: "Barbour, country clothing since 1894," and "The original Barbour tartan, original, authentic."

This nifty lid, which folds in on itself to form a tidy, easily stowable pouch , has long been one of my "safety hats" that I've kept in the trunk of the Diamond White Cadillac in case of hat-mergencies. But I had to bust it out today since I left the homestead this morning without proper headgear and only realized this while I was en route to a rooftop luncheon and fashion presentation in beautifully sunny downtown Los Angeles.

It's not often my headgear is the envy of any given fashion crowd, oh, but today it was. All around me bare heads sizzled like bacon in the mid-day sun, and a single tube of SPF 50 sunscreen, produced from a blogger's purse, was passed around like it was the polio vaccine.

I guess that it turned out being a safety hat after all -- just not the kind I'd envisioned.


Related:
PC 289: Stumper Bucket
PC 288: Aces High
PC 287: Bonita Springs Ahead

Q: OK, nice hat -- but what exactly is Project Cubbins, anyway?

A: One man's homage to Dr. Seuss and his second book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins," which is celebrating the 75th anniversary of its publication in 2013, Project Cubbins is an attempt to document the wearing of a different hat or piece of headgear every day for 500 consecutive days. No do-aheads, no banking of hats, no retroactive entries. PC started on May 27, 2013 with Hat 1
Got hats? If you loan 'em, you'll get e'm back safe and sound!


No comments: